MSF-OCA is looking for a: Head of Learning & Development (40 hrs p/w) based in Amsterdam
Our Learning & Development department was established in 2015 following a significant revision of our training strategy and set-up at the time, to better facilitate the specific ambitions of MSF-OCA’s Strategic Plan 2015-2019. Our focus has shifted from the delivery to the analysis and design of learning interventions based on real learning and development needs. Our contributions aim to ensure that our staff consistently meets the requirements of their roles whilst continuing to develop their skillset and expertise, and to improve MSF-OCA’s capacity to better retain staff through planned career and talent development.
The Learning & Development department offers a transparent and accessible portfolio of integrated services. In addition to the design and delivery of learning interventions, it helps management to identify learning needs, assists them to define effective interventions, and shares its expertise regarding best practices, methods, theories and techniques. With the ultimate goal to provide quality care to our beneficiaries, the Learning & Development department services international and national staff and headquarter-based employees who directly support our medical humanitarian operations in the field, most of them working out of our Amsterdam, Berlin and London offices.
The Learning & Development department in MSF-Holland/MSF-OCA consists of approximately 15 FTE’s, who are based in Amsterdam, Bonn and Canada, as well as in the field, and manages a flexible pool of trainers and works with external providers. It collaborates very closely with our HR Department to ensure alignment in scope, objectives and planning.
The new Head of Learning & Development is expected to inherit and continue with the defined strategic vision of the department to ensure continuity and consistency. As we are only part way through the implementation plan of building the Learning & Development department, the successful candidate is able to have a long term vision for the department, as well as focus on current and next steps. We are still in a change process.
- Provides leadership, vision and direction to the Learning & Development department, in support of the organization’s strategic objectives, and via the development and implementation of agreed Annual Plans.
- Provides pro-active and strategic thinking combined with change management capabilities and stakeholder management skills.
- Recruits, trains and manages a team of skilled and motived team members who are empowered to take decisions and encouraged to take initiative and provide feedback. Holds annual planning and review sessions and regular, informal updates with direct reports, and ensures similar reviews take place throughout the department.
- Identifies critical organizational needs and synergies between these, in order to develop learning & development solutions on key strategic areas.
- Manages the design and production of learning & development activities in a timely and cost-efficient manner and undertakes regular and effective ‘marketing’ of the services offered across MSF-OCA.
- Supervises and improves the quality of all learning & development activities delivered.
- Supports strategic decision-making as a Head of Department and a member of the MSF-Holland Extended Management Team, the Resource Departments Management Team, and the MSF-OCA Heads of HR Platform, and as such guides and supports the organizational development initiatives identified by Management Team of MSF-OCA and MSF-Holland.
- Builds positive relationships with all departments whilst offering support and advice, where applicable.